Sunday, March 29, 2009

Season Begins

On the 8th July 2008 I signed a one year contract to manage Oldham Athletic and the chairman Simon Blitz is paying me £1,800 a week. The last time Oldham has seen success was when they won the Championship (formerly Division 2) in 1991, taking them to the Premier League. The long-term aim ultimatly has to be for me to do the same, but this may take some time. I have set my aim for this season as top-half finish as it will take me a little while to build my squad and get ready to make a promotion push next year. Any success that comes is just a bonus.

My assistant manager Tommy Wright feels we have quite a strong squad and that it is capable of finishing in the top half of the table. He feels the weakest area of the squad is defence. A concern of mine is that we are currently relying quite heavily on loans, maybe the answer is to push hard with them and deal with the issue next season when hopefully we are in a finnancial position to be able to sign people.

The first step before I begin pre-season is to assess my squad.

Goalkeeper

Mark Crossley - At the age of 39 it is clear to me he is going to have to perform a role as back-up, especially as he has little movement now. He is also a goalkeeping coach so I plan to keep him on in that role in the future.

Greg Fleming - He was brought to the club to become the successor to Crossley but I am unsure whether he has the required quality, if we reach the Championship in the next few seasons he would need to be replaced.

Shane Supple - Due to this position being vulnerable I feel loanee Supple may have to fill the position, at least until I find a replacement.

This is a position that is definatly up for grabs, I shall give them all a try in pre-season as im undecided.

Right Back

Neal Eardley - A Welsh international, at the age of 19, I see Eardley as a player with good potential. He is my first choice right back.

Kelvin Lomax - Lomax does not appear to be very talented. I would look to offload him but due to the lack of numbers in defence he may survive as a back-up for a little while.

Centre Back

Sean Greegan - Club captain, Greegs is a powerful defender. The problem is that his age (34) has led to him having little pace.

Reuben Hazell - A solid defender, can definatly do a job at this level.

Stefan Stam - League 1 quality, fine as a back-up in my opinion.

Centre defence is definatly a position I am worried about, three centre backs is not enough and with an average age of just over 30 the three of them are a weak link. I will look to strengthen here.

Left Back

Paul Black - The only registered Oldham left back. He is 18 and clearly not ready for this level of football.

Daniel Jones - This loanee from Wolves clearly has ability and it is fortunate I have him this season otherwise I would have a problem.

Stam can play left back also if required, but that would mean only two centre backs. In summary we need more defenders.

Right Wing

Chris Taylor - The best player at the club. In the only position with more than enough options, he is the best. Good, young winger.

Kieran Lee - Former Man United reserve team Captain, Lee has ability and he can play 5 different positions making him a very useful player. Injured for 3-5 weeks.

Andy Liddell - Experienced Scot who's physical condition will limit appearences but quality can be of use. Great at penalty taking, crossing and can play up front.

Deane Smalley - Aged 19 Smalley needs games so he can develop. Equally capable of playing right wing or up front. Potential to be loaned out for experience.

Fabio Ferriera - On loan from Chelsea, bring pace but little else. Merely a squad player.

Centre Midfield

Mark Allott - In the words of Sky Sports commentary "A stylish midfielder", I wouldn't go that for, but he can cope with League 1.

Kevin Maher - The defensive one of the group, playing Maher gives the other centre mid the opportunity to get foward, act playmaker and attack.

Danny Whitaker - An attacking midfielder who can support my strikers, will remain in my squad.

Dale Stephens - Doesn't look like he will turn out great, he's only 20 but I may have to get rid.

Ian Westlake - Not the required standard. Poor signing by my predecesor Joe Royle.

Left Wing

A major problem for me is that I have no natural left midfielders. Ferriera, Taylor and Lee can all play there but it is not their preferred or natural position.

Striker

Lee Hughes - My favourite Oldham player. In my experience Lee Hughes can guarentee you goals. He is 32 though so I cannot rely on him for long.

Lewis Alessandra - Like Smalley he is a young player who needs games but is not really good enough for my team.

Matty Wolfenden - Good finishing, not mush else to offer it appears.

Steven Kabba - On loan from Watford. With his pace, acceleration and finishing he could be the strike partner Hughes so needs, for this season at least. He is injured for 4-6 weeks.

This is another area which needs strengthening, two senior strikers is not enough if I want o push up the table. An injury to a striker could ruin the season presently.

Clearly I will have to work on my squad, this may take more than one transfer market to sort out. Strength in depth lacks in many areas and more worryingly quality in some places. Now I have assessed my own squad I can look at making some transfers. I will start by using a simple 4-4-2 and so I will be looking for players to go into this formation

No comments:

Post a Comment